Even my daughter's hair seems to have reached a plateau, but at least she is yet to have set backs like mine.
Back to my hair, the general dissatisfaction with my inability to retain length (though my hair clearly grows approximately half an inch a month) left me uninterested in really focusing on my hair the way I used to.
As a result, my hair has been in braids, crochet braids for the last 8 months. This has allowed me to forget about my hair. Not the best thing, because that did not help me retain length, but at least, I wasn't preoccupied with my hair for the first time in years!
Now, however, I think I have come back to wondering how to jumpstart my hair care and have healthier hair, be it relaxed or natural.
My original plan was to keep my hair in crochet braids until the summer of 2015 but I am considering trying the max hydration technique instead. I fear that that braids will give my already struggling hair the occasion to become thin something I REALLY don't want. I'd rather have short but thick hair any day!
With that being said, I have come up with a plan to get me through May and June of 2014.
- END OF APRIL: Remove crochet braids and leave hair out for 2 - 4 weeks.
- I will remove braids, do an overnight conditioning treatment, shampoo (with a sulfate shampoo), do an ACV rinse, do a heated DC with silk elements conditioner (it has cones, sadly and I have about 2-3 more containers to use up! Hence the need for a sulfate shampoo).
- For 2 weeks, I will wear scarves, use braiding hair to create top knots, fishtail ponies and whatever else I need to do.
- I will use black castor oil mixed with a few other oils on my temples and scalp every other night and do inversion method for 4 minutes each time.
- I will try to co-wash with an ACV rinse and Nature Made conditioner in the middle of the week and then repeat the overnight DC treatment on the weekends.
- I will do this for at least 2 - 4 weeks if I can.Keep track of hair growth to see if immersion method and GHE (Green House Effect) work for you
- MID MAY/END OF MAY: Put in new crochet braids.
- I will do a serious protein treatment by simply implementing it into my weekend regimen.
- Install crochet braids - simple curly do like what I had in February.
- Keep crochet braids in for 4-6 weeks or at least until kids are on summer break.
- Continue inversion method, but also begin to use water/moisture spray plus sealing oil/butter every 2 -3 days on scalp and in 'hair')
- Also implement GHE into regimen.
- Buy products for Max hydration method.
- END OF JUNE: Max Hydration time!
- Remove crochet braids
- Do a length check with heat around this period
- Begin max hydration first treatment and then follow up with cowashes EVERY DAY for a week.
- Continue until you have curl definition and can stretch co washes from every day to every 3 days to every 5 days, to every 7 days.
- END OF AUGUST: Track Results
- Do a length check with blowdryer on low heat. REMEMBER, NO DIRECT HEAT!
- If results are positive, continue MH (Max Hydration) method.
- If results are NOT positive, hopefully, you will have some length and can continue with crochet braids and/or purchase kinky coily hair to give more fullness to hair.
- Also, consider whether or not you want a relaxer again.