Co washing week
MONDAY EVENING - SHIKAKAI
Procedure: Mixed Shikakai with water into a paste. Did not measure things precisely. I rubbed into my hair and left it on for an hour. After rinsing it out, I put some ORS replenishing pack in my hair and sat for 30 minutes. I then washed it out and sprayed SCurl in my hair. I then sealed with a lot of Vatika oil.
Result: My hair was hard as hell! Also the Shikakai left flecks in hair. It was hard to comb and I experienced a lot of tangles and breakage when I combed. Also, my scalp was itching.
Follow up: I read up on the Shikakai process and have discovered that I made a few mistakes.
1 - Used too much shikakai
2 - did not pre-poo with Vatika
3 - should not have rubbed the product around like shampoo, only made it harden
4 - should use it with amla powder, an egg and some water and mostly put it on scalp.
I will try this process again and hopefully will make it part of my weekly cowash regimen if it works the next time.
TUESDAY EVENING:
Procedure: Deep conditioned with ORS Mayo and left in my hair for 40 minutes. I washed it out and put SCurl and Vatika.
Result: Hair was better than the day before. Little breakage, but lots of shrinkage. My scalp was itching and did not feel clean. I wrapped my hair and the excess Vatika was thickening on my hair.
Follow Up: I will wash with an actual shampoo tomorrow and hope for the best. Also, I will put a lot less Vatika. Only about a dime's worth is needed.
WEDNESDAY EVENING:
Procedure: I put some ORS mayo. I focused on the scalp and ends, then wore a shower cap and wrapped a towel around head for 20 minutes. I then washed with Design Essentials Anti Itch shampoo. I conditioned with Design Essentials Stimulations. Then I put a little ORS Replenishing Pak along the length and especially on my temples. I then washed it out, squeezed water from hair and after letting it dry a little, I added SCurl and 3 dime worth of Vatika. I then combed gently.
Result: My hair was feeling great after the Stimulations conditioner. Had I stopped there I would have been happy. However, adding the ORS seemed to cause some shrinkage. Nevertheless, I have never had so little breakage. I still had some tangles which probably from the ORS replenishing pack. Because the DE always leaves my hair extremely soft and tangle free. As usual I wrapped my hair.
Follow up: I will use a mixture of warm olive oil, tea tree oil, Vatika oil, lavender and camellia oil to massage my scalp, because it is STILL itching! I will purchase eiter Queen Helene conditioner or Pantene Hair Mask (or both) and use it to co wash. The next time I cowash I will use my trusty scalp scrubber.