Friday, February 29, 2008

CARMEL PROCESS UPDATED

So, I did it. I took the plunge into carmel processing and can honestly say that I am glad I did it because I have achieved the exact level of hair softness that I have desperately craved! At this moment I have unwrapped and combed my hair. It is now clipped up on my head, with my ends off my back and my hair feels like silk! Never in my life have I experienced this hair texture. The hair shaft is soft and shiny. My hair looks full and in my opinion, stunning. I have not even added heat, yet!

I mixed the ingredients (see last post) together without adding any water and the result was a dark brown paste that smelt like @$$!!! Each time I inhaled the mixture, I gagged! For that reason, I added several drops of Lavender oil. That definitely made the mixture much more manageable.I applied the carmel like I would a relaxer. I kept it off my scalp. However, the mixture I made was insufficient because i did not have enough carmel to coat on my hair strands. So, I made an additional mix with just half the amount I used for the original mix and this time, I added some water so as to make coating the hair shaft easier. I then put on my shower cap and somehow managed to fall asleep for 3 hours or so.

When I woke up, I rinsed out the carmel. I noticed that my hair felt strong, but not 'bullet proof' strong like it usually does after a Protein deep condition. Anyway, I did a quick condition with SH and then washed with DE Anti-Itch shampoo twice, focusing on my scalp. Then I conditioned with SH again and then put ORS RP and left that in my hair while I showered. When i washed the ORS out, my hair felt incredibly silky and my roots were lying flat on my head.Here is what my hair looked like after washing -
Here is what my hair looked like after it was dry -

Basically, this process was easy to do and the results were incredible and, in fact, I will be doing the carmel process to my daughter's hair on Saturday morning. I will also do it to anyone who asks.


UPDATE: I reluctantly put heat n my hair because I had to attend a function. My hair was most definitely swanging! My roots were okay but not bone straight. In fact, I felt that I needed more heat for some reason. Maybe that's because I haven't used the FHI iron in a long time.